Thursday, October 8, 2015

Turning Down the Radio


Dear Readers,

I love this meme, for the simple fact that it's very true.  You know how it is when you're driving down new terrain, trying to find a destination that you've never visited before.  Earlier in your trip you could have the radio on, singing loudly and off-key, even if you've never traveled the first few miles.

But there's something about being on the final road, inching closer to your destination that makes you want to fully concentrate on where you are: the numbers on the buildings, and paying extreme attention to make sure you don't pass your stop.  That's when the singing stops, and you instinctively turn down your radio to "see better."


We live in a very noisy world these days.  It seems like there's always something yelling at you, attempting to not only get, but maintain, your attention.  Our senses are sometimes assaulted with useless pop culture knowledge and celebrity factoids that try to convince you that "this is how you should live your life."  "Your life is not complete unless you portray yourself this way," or "why not follow this common path?"

It can be draining.  Especially if you feel as though going your own path isn't leading you to the form of success that you covet; but other people, draped in their vapidity, are being constantly rewarded.

There's a lot of frustration that can come when you feel as though others, who haven't worked as hard as you, or perfected a talent/craft/business, can appear like things are being handed to them just because.

It can be exhausting trying to go down a path that seems right, but being very aware of the infamous detours, the loud outside noises, and the glaring lights that seem to want to grab your attention from the road that you're traveling.

Taking an occasional mental fast from all of the celebrity gossip and internet hogwash is necessary for me, because if I immerse myself into it too much, I begin to compare myself.  I begin to wonder "what's wrong with me, and why can't I get a good footing?"  That then begins to morph into:  "What's so special about him/her/them?  They didn't do anything special!"

There's an even level of asphalt that I like to travel down, that allows me to acknowledge someone else's success, but still focus on attaining my own.  But the moment I begin to go down a bumpy road of feigned indignation and trying to account for someone else's achievements, that's when I realize that I've began to travel off-course.

There are a lot of secrets to traveling successfully through life, and one of them is to tune out the unnecessary noise.  Focus on the road ahead of you, and make sure that you're hitting every correct turn and detour that will get you to your destination.  That way, when you're getting closer, and you turn down the radio to see better, you can focus on making sure that you didn't miss your stop.

Stay Encouraged.  

  


No comments:

Post a Comment