Friday, October 16, 2015

The Lowest Denominator

Dear Readers,

As much as I would like to think that we have complete freedom on who we are, how we represent ourselves, and what our lasting legacy will be, I feel as though this rationale is becoming as lost as tact is.  But the reason why I feel this way is due to Lamar Odom.

Now usually, I try to stay away from social media trends.  Unless it's something that's really important to me, I'll pay attention to it if I can't get away from it, or look into it if it intrigues me.  But this Lamar Odom thing seems to be the glue that is connecting multiple people's ire.  But beyond all of that, it's the fight over what to label him as.

I've never been one who desired to "Keep Up" with anyone, but I do know that Lamar's name has been well versed through multiple entertainment mediums.  Because of this, there seems to be a group of people who only insist that his name is relevant due to reality show infamy.

This is troubling to me because he had a very substantial basketball career, and was someone who rose from a rough past, beat odds, and became known in that world.  However, every mistake that he's made since appearing on a reality show is what's defining him now.

Now, don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that he has lived his life as an angel.  I'm very aware of the messy relationship triangle that proceeded his marriage, but at the same time, it feels odd to me that his life has been defined along one straight, staccato measure, rather than the over all symphony that he has produced.

I don't know if it's the current time that we live in, that tends to focus on the now, and erasing the behaviors of the past (good or bad), or if it's just human nature that causes us to focus on the negative.  However, it does make me more aware of my current steps, and my future preparations, because once my time is up, and my life is expressed as a retrospective, I pray that my whole story is taken into account.  Not just a few, poorly written chapters.

Stay Encouraged!

Enjoy your weekend, see you Monday!  

No comments:

Post a Comment