Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Stop Comparing Yourself

Dear Bloggers,

There are a lot of things that can stop you from progressing in life, and a large majority of those things are from our own doing.  One of the things that I have had to struggle with, while pursuing this new direction in my career, is with comparing myself to others.

When I first decided to make this change in my life I did as much research as possible.  I bought books, studied, and also looked at the background of some of my favorite movers and shakers in the business that I'm trying to get into.  I felt like I was ready, and once I sat down to start working (to get into the business) that's when all of the knowledge of these people began to haunt me).  I began to look at their credentials and their career choices and began to doubt my own abilities.  So many of these people came from Ivy League schools, and even though I cherish the degree I got from the University of Illinois, would it measure up?

I then began to look at their work and began to get scared.  These people are geniuses, could I even measure up?  I began to look at my work compared to theirs and feel as though I wasn't clever enough, smart enough, don't have enough obscure references that only people from Harvard would get.  But why would I?  I didn't go to Harvard.  Is it too late for me to apply to their grad school program?  Maybe I can get an in with this profession this way?

After talking myself into a tizzy (and crying in the shower, so my tears will blend in with the warm water that came crashing down on me) I began to realize that by comparing myself to others made me almost talk myself out of my dream.  I've dreamt about this since I was a child, but just started pursuing it the last few years.  I've made amazing steps toward it, and I'm not about to allow myself to stop me.

I don't know how long it will take before I get to join "the team" of professionals that I look up to.  But I do know that when I do, I won't need to compare myself, because within that "team," I will always stand out as "me".

Stay Encouraged

No comments:

Post a Comment