Monday, April 20, 2009

Best of the Worst Best Intentions - Day One

Hey There, Bloggers,

This week we’re going to discuss the guise of the best intentions excuse. This weekend, I went to one of my favorite websites that have AMAZING blogs (glamour.com) and one of the bloggers was discussing the root where her weight baggage stemmed from. While being an overweight child, her grandmother gave her a scale. Even though her grandmother had her best intentions in mind, it still caused her to be resentful and aided in her struggle with her weight for years.

This story was something that was easy for me to empathize with. My parents, the AMAZING providers and authorial figures that they are, seems to have NO inner monologue. Anything that they thought about their children, things that they did not like, would come SHOOTING from their mouths. Then to combat our indignation, we would always hear about how they said what they said due to having best intentions.

EXAMPLE:

My beautiful sister Kelli decided to give herself a Halle Berry-esque hair cut during her sophomore year of high school. The hair cut came out amazing. One morning, Kelli came downstairs to eat breakfast, her hair looking gorgeous, sits down in her seat next to me. This was my father’s first time seeing Kelli with her new short coif. My father is staring intently at her head, as if trying to telepathically paste her hair back to her head, and when NO ONE was expecting it, he says: “WHERE IS YOUR HAIR? YOU LOOK LIKE A BOY!!”
Mouths were agape, and eyes looked like SAUCERS. Does he not know that you do not tell your daughter that she looks like a MALE?! What is wrong with you, man?!
So, when Kelli gets justifiably upset, he looks at US as if WE’RE crazy and says: “WHAT?! I CAN’T SAY ANYTHING TO MY DAUGHTER?! I GOT GOOD INTENTIONS!!”

Now to you, my dear readers, this week I’m going to discuss the consequences I’ve dealt with whenever someone (family, boyfriends, friends) uttered those words “good intentions” at me. These consequences range from self-consciousness to bulimia to self-redemption. But, trust me when I say that no matter how good someone’s intentions are, the only thing that matters is how you see yourself.
STAY ENCOURAGED!!

No comments:

Post a Comment